OK, so I have had all of Half Term to think of these and tomorrow marks the start of my next placement!
There are a few very teaching specific ones, and then a few I think will just generally help my sanity. Here we go… (Phrased as a message to myself!)
- STOP DOING CARD SORTS FOR CLASSES OF 900 PUPILS. It takes too much of your time for the 10-15 minutes of the lesson it takes them to do them.
- Give out homework at the start of the lesson & collect it in at around the same time.
- Don’t drop the plenary. Make it less topic specific and more about reflection, then wherever you get up to, you can ask the students what they have learned that day etc. But you must not drop it.
- Do not be tempted to shout over students. Wait. A long time if needs be.
- Say ‘no’ when you need to… and on that note, stop offering to take on extra things (before you are even asked) when you don’t have time, even if you think it will help others.
- Instructions need to be more explicit and before every task. “In your books… All workings shown… iPads down… Pens down…” Do not move on until these things are done.
- Not every lesson will be perfect. Especially with the increased timetable. Plan the best you can, and remember this year is a learning curve… A very steep learning curve.
- Find a quicker way of marking books/homework/tests.
- Stop working at 9.30pm on weekdays. At the latest. Spend time with Jamie. Call your Mum/Grandma/Best friend.
- Have Saturday off. Every week. & at least one more day in the holidays. You are pretty blooming fantastic, but you are not Superwoman.
I think I may need to get these printed and put them in my diary and on my wall….
Anyone else got any resolutions for themselves? 🙂